You want your house to stand out from the competition as the best house on the market. You've cleaned and scrubbed your house inside until it shines. What can you do to make your house stand above the competition? Follow the simple, inexpensive steps below to give your house and exterior makeover that will attract buyers.
1. Trim bushes so they don’t block windows or architectural details.
Overgrown shrubs hide the beauty of your house. They can also block sunlight from coming through the windows, sunlight that makes your house look bright and open.
2. Mow your lawn often, especially in the spring time. Spread a bag of Weed & Feed fertilizer to kill weeds, and make your grass green. Turn on the sprinklers for 30 minutes before the showing to make the lawn sparkle. Fresh water on your grass tells buyers that you take pride in your lawn.
3. Put a pot of bright flowers (or a small evergreen in winter) on your porch.
Bright flowers are a sign of welcome, and they show you care about your house.
4. Install new doorknobs on your front door.
If your doorknobs are more than five years-old, they are likely scratched and dull from exposure to the weather. New door hardware says to the buyers that you have a quality home.
5. Repair any cracks in the driveway. If your driveway is concrete, use some concrete patch to fill cracks. If you have a blacktop driveway, use crack sealer to fill the cracks, then spread a coat of driveway sealer.
6. Edge the grass around walkways and trees.
Nice clean edges around sidewalks and flower beds tell buyers that your house has been well maintained.
7. Keep your garden tools and hoses out of sight
Put your tools in your shed or in your garage. Roll up the hose and leave next to the outside faucet.
8. Clear toys from the lawn.
You love your children. They want to play outside. Give them a break. Put the toys away, then take the kids to lunch or a snack while the buyers and their agent see your house.
9. Buy a new mailbox.
A new mailbox is inexpensive. It will look shiny and new, so it’s in keeping with the rest of your house.
10. Upgrade your outside lighting.
If your exterior light fixtures are more than five years-old, they are likely showing some deterioration from weather. If your house has brass exterior fixtures from the 80’s, you definitely need a make-over. New light fixtures are an inexpensive touch that will make your house look updated and new.
11. Buy a new doormat for the outside of your front door.
Get rid of the funky old doormat that’s full of dirt and grass clippings. Get a plush new mat.
12. Clean your windows, inside and outside.
I hate cleaning windows. So I clean my windows with my checkbook. Clean windows let in lots of light. Another extra step you can take is removing the screens from your windows, and put them in the store room. Your windows will sparkle more.
13. Polish or replace your house numbers.
Weather dulls metal house numbers. Give them a good cleaning, or replace them with shiny new numbers.
14. Place a seasonal wreath on your door.
The final touch is a wreath that matches the season. Winter, spring, summer, or fall; A seasonal wreath gives your house a festive look.
Giving your house terrific curb appeal doesn't have to cost a fortune.
When you are ready to sell your house, be sure to interview Erick Blackwelder for the job. Erick has sold over 2,000 houses in 25 years in and around Woodbridge, Virginia. Call or text Erick now at 703-677-1120.
You'll get Erick's team of support staff and marketing experts for no more than it costs to hire a single agent working alone.
Call Erick now at 703-677-1120.
Call or text Erick Blackwelder right now for help finding a home, or help selling your house.
Don't worry... Erick doesn't bite, and you won't get a sales pitch. Text or call Erick now at 703-677-1120 for a FREE consultation.
CLICK HERE NOW to search the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) for homes for sale in and around Woodbridge, Lorton, and Mount Vernon.
Exit Realty Associates
8998C Lorton Station Blvd
Lorton, VA 22079
Equal Housing Opportunity
Click the link above to email a question to me or call me now at 703-677-1120.
Equal Housing opportunity.